… insists concession must be transparent 

Aviation unions in Nigeria are protesting the government’s plans to concession some airports, citing a lack of transparency and input from stakeholders. 

The unions; Association of Nigeria Aviation Professionals (ANAP), Air Transport Services Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (ATSSSAN), and the National Union of Air Transport Employees (NUATE), condemned the draft agreement documents being paraded for the concession of some airports in the country without their input.

At a congress held on February 25 at FAAN Freedom Square, the unions expressed dissatisfaction that the government is moving forward with the concession plans without their input, despite assurances from the Minister of Aviation and Aerospace Development, Festus Keyamo, that labour issues would be discussed with the unions. 

The unions were also concerned about the length of the concession agreement, which they say is 80 years, and the lack of transparency in the process.

The protest was s not just about the concession itself, but also about the lack of transparency and inclusivity in the process. The unions are demanding that the government engage with them and other stakeholders to ensure that the concession is done in a fair and transparent manner.

Addressing the workers, the President of NUATE Comrade Ben Nnabue, said the unions learned that the government was going ahead to concession some airports in a manner that was not known to any of them. 

He said the Minister of Aviation & Aerospace Development, Festus Keyamo, had told them that he was not going into concessions but that the unions were surprised to see documents on concession from the Ministry.

Nnabue said the unions have lost confidence in the management of the agencies attending meetings with the Minister. 

“Posterity will not forgive them if they go to represent FAAN and sell FAAN out without calling stakeholders. There is no information that is hidden forever,” he said.

Nnabue said in the document that was paraded had in its Full Business Case 50 years and in the agreement 80 years 

He queried if they were buying the land or doing concession, adding that management concession was for only five years saying he has never seen any agreement of 80 years.

The NUATE President stated that Mr. Festus Keyamo had earlier told them that labour issues will be discussed with the unions, adding that the documents being circulated had written legal issues. “They didn’t discuss with us and they are writing issues affecting our members.”

Also speaking, the President of ANAP, Comrade Adedayo Alale, said the Minister told all the union leaders that all labour issues will be resolved before concession.

Alale said the process of concession of Enugu Airport was almost concluded while that of Port Harcourt and Kano have also been planned .

On his own part, the 3rd National President of ATSSSAN, Comrade John  Ogbe, said no union or worker was afraid of concession but were against concession through the back door, not transparent and non inclusive, adding that aviation workers were critical stakeholders and must be carried along. 

Ogbe noted that in the last plan the unions had the opportunity to study the Outline Business Case , saying that what they witnessed recently were unsolicited Outline Business Cases.

The unions at the end of the congress resolved to demand that the government implement the consequential adjustment of the new minimum wage by next month, conclude all issues concerning Conditions of Service (COS) within the next two months, and ensure that the concession process is transparent.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *