
The United States has lifted the 12-year Condition of Entry (CoE) imposed on vessels arriving from Nigeria, in a major boost for the country’s maritime industry and a strong endorsement of ongoing reforms in the sector.
The announcement was made by the Minister of Marine and Blue Economy, Dr. Adegboyega Oyetola, who described the development as a landmark achievement that reflects Nigeria’s significant progress in maritime security and compliance with international standards.
The lifting of the restriction ends more than a decade of enhanced security requirements imposed on vessels that called at Nigerian ports before proceeding to the United States.
The Condition of Entry, introduced on June 25, 2014, required vessels destined for the United States that had visited designated Nigerian ports within their previous five port calls to undergo additional security checks and heightened scrutiny before gaining access to American waters.
According to Oyetola, the decision by the United States Coast Guard represents a strong vote of confidence in Nigeria’s maritime security architecture and the implementation of the International Ship and Port Facility Security (ISPS) Code across the country’s ports and maritime facilities.
He attributed the achievement to the collaborative efforts of the Federal Ministry of Marine and Blue Economy and the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA), working alongside other government agencies, port authorities, terminal operators, shipping companies and industry stakeholders.
The minister explained that the stakeholders worked together to strengthen maritime security, address identified gaps and ensure sustained compliance with globally accepted security standards.
Over the past two years, the United States Coast Guard conducted four separate assessments of Nigeria’s maritime security framework and port facilities between March 2024 and April 2026.
The assessments, according to the minister, showed remarkable improvements in Nigeria’s implementation of the ISPS Code and its overall maritime security performance, ultimately paving the way for the removal of the restriction.
Describing the development as a significant milestone, Oyetola said the achievement demonstrated the impact of effective regulation, institutional collaboration and sustained investment in maritime security.
“The lifting of the Conditions of Entry is a major milestone for Nigeria’s maritime sector. It is a strong affirmation of the progress we have made in strengthening maritime security and implementing the ISPS Code across our ports and facilities’, he said.
He assured stakeholders that the government would continue to build on the achievement to ensure that Nigeria remains a safe, secure and competitive destination for international shipping.
The minister also commended the Director-General of NIMASA, Dr. Dayo Mobereola, and his management team for their role in achieving the feat.
Industry analysts believe the development could significantly improve the competitiveness of Nigerian ports by reducing delays and eliminating additional security procedures previously imposed on vessels travelling to the United States.
The removal of the restriction is expected to facilitate faster vessel turnaround, improve schedule reliability and reduce operational costs associated with extra inspections, documentation and security requirements.
It is also expected to make Nigerian ports more attractive to international shipping lines, stimulate trade and investment, create employment opportunities and increase port revenues.
For more than a decade, shipping companies operating between Nigeria and the United States had to contend with additional security measures, prolonged inspections and higher operating costs.
The restrictions also affected freight and insurance costs while raising concerns about the competitiveness of Nigerian ports within the global shipping industry.
With the latest development, vessels departing Nigerian ports for the United States will no longer be subjected to the additional security requirements imposed under the Condition of Entry, marking a new chapter in Nigeria’s quest to position itself as a leading maritime hub in Africa.


